|Troy Hunt How I optimised my life to make my job redundant||Troy Hunt's point of view|
|Write a brag document|
|Being visible||Why visibility matters|
|Being Glue||If you stop doing those things, the team won't be as successful. But now someone's suggesting that you might be happier in a less technical role. If this describes you, congratulations: you're the glue. If it's not, have you thought about who is filling this role on your team?|
|Three crucial skills that leaders must develop to become executives||These skills include taking (almost irrational) career risk, learning to scale by trusting your team, and developing advanced soft skills.|
|Making the case to decision makers: the presentation format to follow||A tested template to follow when presenting to executive leadership teams.|
|Gergely Orosz My "Investment Mindset"||Could work that seems like "sunk costs" on the short-term really be an investment for the long-term?|
|The Horrifically Dystopian World of Software Engineering Interviews||Coding interviews are broken|
|Gergely Orosz Performance Reviews for Software Developers – How I Do Them In a (Hopefully) Fair Way||
|Gergely Orosz Common Performance Review Biases: How to Spot and Counter Them||8 common biases in performance reviews and how to counter them|
Questions to ask
- "How am I doing compared to your expectations?"
- "What do you see as my strengths & weaknesses?"
- "What skills do I need to get to next level?"
- "Any tips on professional development?"
|Does the title even matter?||Why titles do matter|
|How to get promoted||Almost everyone who does great work toils in relative obscurity. Performance reviews are social fiction. How do people really advance through the corporate hierarchy?|
|Gergely Orosz Software Developer Promotions: Advice to Get to That Next Level||
Questions to ask
- "Can we walk through the expectations for the next level to make sure I understand them?"
- "What's the most effective thing I can do to make myself a stronger candidate?"
- "What areas do you think I should focus on?"
- "What are the requirements needed to advance?"
- "What are the skills that I'll need to demonstrate?"
- "How can I best demonstrate them?"
- "If I don't get promoted this cycle, what are some of the likely causes?"
- "I'm ready to move ahead in the organization" or "I will be ready soon"
- "I'm enjoying what I do and I look forward to taking on more"
- "I'd like to be a candidate for the manager position that's coming up"
- "I've only been here for two years, but I've learned a lot and I want to keep learning and growing"